He was born in 1981 in Kranj. After finishing the Catholic Classical High School, he enrolled at the Veterinary Faculty in Ljubljana and graduated in 2006. He then underwent a year of professional training at the Clinic for Small Animal Surgery and Medicine which operates within the framework of the Veterinary Faculty in Ljubljana. Novak learned from renowned foreign and domestic experts in the field of soft and hard tissue surgery. He regularly attends training courses and expert meetings within the framework of the Slovenian Small Animal Veterinary Association (SSAVA).
He is an active member of the European Association of Veterinary Orthopaedic and Traumatology (ESVOT− http://www.esvot.org/) and Veterinary Surgical Working Group for Osteosynthesis Questions (AO)in Veterinary Medicine (AOVET− https://aovet.aofoundation.org/Structure/Pages/default.aspx).
He is predominantly involved in soft and hard tissue surgery, orthopaedics and neurology at Klinika Loka. He supplements his work with regular refresher courses and consultations with recognized European experts.
He has been employed at the clinic since January 2008.
Postgraduate ongoing education in the field of veterinary medicine:
– Postgraduate specialization in small animals, Veterinary Faculty, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2014 – ongoing
– AOVET Course − Advances in Small Animal Fracture Management, Zagreb, Croatia, 2014;
– Belgrade Veterinary Neurology Conference, Belgrade, Serbia, 2014;
– Active collaboration with internationally recognized manufacturers of veterinary orthopaedic-osteosynthetic materials and with the company Kyon (www.kyon.ch), Zurich, Switzerland, regarding the development of new implants, 2013;
– XXVII. Symposium on Current Diseases of Small Animals, Portorož, Slovenia, 2014;
– Orthopaedic Symposium, Belgrade, Serbia, 2013;
– XXVI. Symposium on Current Diseases of Small Animals, Ankaran, Slovenia, 2013 (active participation as a lecturer);
– “Treatment of Animals with Stem Cells”, professional training, 2012;
– Seminar on Small Animal Neurology, Belgrade, Serbia, 2012;
– Completed qualification for student mentorship for practical training at the Ministry of Education, Science and Sport of the Republic of Slovenia, Ljubljana, 2012;
– Small Animal Veterinary Symposium (SIVEMAP), Belgrade, Serbia, 2012;
– Feline Oral Surgery, David Crossley, DVM, EVDC graduate, Postojna, Slovenia, 2012;
– Pathophysiology and Diagnosis of Seizures, Petr Šrenk, DVM, ECVN graduate, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2012;
– XXV. Symposium on Current Diseases of Small Animals, Portorož, Slovenia, 2012;
– ESVOT – Seminar on Patellar Luxation, Lyon, France, 2011;
– ESVOT – TPLO, Biomechanical Stabilization of the Knee Joint after the Tearing of Cruciate Ligaments, practical training, Lyon, France, 2011;
– Kleintierklinik Hollabrun, Dr. Günther Schwarz, ECVS graduate, Medical Specialist for Small Animals, European Specialist Surgeon – professional practical orthopaedic training, Hollabrun, Austria, 2010;
– European School for Advanced Veterinary Studies (ESAVS) −
oAdvanced Veterinary Studies (AVS) courses completed:
- Neurology IV, Neurosurgery, Tuttlingen, Germany, completed in 2012,
- Neurology III, Bern, Switzerland, completed in 2011,
- Neurology II, Bern, Switzerland, completed in 2010,
- Neurology I, Bern, Switzerland, completed in 2009,
oExcellence in Veterinary Therapy (EVT) course completed:
- Anaesthesiology and Orthopaedics, Lisbon, Portugal, completed in 2010;
- AOVET Course – Small Animal Principles (practical training in the principles of osteosynthesis), Portorož, Slovenia, 2010;
- School of Ultrasound, ESAOTE, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2009;
- Clinical Oncology – practical bases, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2009;
- Symposium on Current Diseases of Small Animals, Lipica, Slovenia, 2009;
- Emergency Medicine for Dogs and Cats, Part I, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2008;
- Winter Oncology Seminar, Martin Kessler, DVM, ECVIM graduate (Onc.), Postojna, Slovenia, 2008;
- Acquisition of the title of Assistant Lecturer of Surgery and Ophthalmology in 2008;
- Clinical Oncology Symposium, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2007.